Sverige 2015

Sverige 2015

Wednesday, January 8, 2014

20 Lessons Learned in the First Five Weeks of Motherhood

It's been 2+ years since my last post. I must be the worst blogger ever! A lot has happened since my last entry and I am now a mother. As a new mom I rarely have time to cook, so instead of a posting a tried and true recipe I thought I'd share some of the lessons I've learned as a new mom.


20 Lessons Learned in the First Five Weeks of Motherhood

1. All of the stuff I read in the baby books while I was pregnant went out the window the moment I met my little one. The first few weeks of motherhood are and should be navigated by survival instincts.

2. Just when I think I have a grasp on something my daughter will remind me within an hour that I am utterly clueless.

3. A shower is a privilege, not a right.

4. Elderly women in public places love babies.

5. When I am able to soothe my baby I feel like I have run a marathon while simultaneously receiving the Nobel Peace Prize and curing cancer.

6. My baby's smile can brighten any dreary day.

7. Colic is hard on a baby, but even harder for the parents.

8. Baby poop does not smell like anything palatable. Don't let anyone tell you anything different.

9. Always put your shoes on before putting baby in a Moby.

10. If I take baby for walks in 30 degree weather, people will think I am weird. I'm not weird; I'm Swedish.

11. If the only tasks I accomplish in a day are making lunch, eating lunch, and putting the lunch dishes away, it is a good day. Even if it takes me four hours.

12. Giving a baby a bath can be equivalent to putting someone's hand in warm water while they are asleep... they may or may not pee all over you afterwards.

13. I am amazed at how well I can function on 3-5 hours of sleep.

14. I never knew how excited I would be to see a car seat attachment on a grocery cart.

15. I have more respect for my own mother than I ever have before.

16. Anything can be turned into a makeshift bed.

17. I am starting to understand God's love for His children a little bit more every day.

18. I hear babies crying in my head even when there are none around...

19. Parenthood is by far the hardest journey I have ever embarked upon...and I have hiked up an active volcano.

20. I never knew that someone so little could so fully capture my heart.

1 comment:

  1. This is great!

    #5 - I still feel like that, and Eliza's 14 months old!
    #8 - Enjoy while it lasts. It will get REAL when she eats solid food.
    #9 - That's a tough one!
    #15 - ME TOO!
    #17 - Also, ME TOO!

    Keep up the blogging - I should keep up with mine too. I've slacked A LOT!

    ReplyDelete